Monday, April 25, 2011

Marching On...

...just to let you know...I have not yet been back to that PiYo class!  A little too intimidating for me...but I did have a new challenge set before me...one that I'm REALLY excited about.  And one that you can join me in too!

About two weeks ago at my Weight Watchers meeting, the Walk-It Challenge was introduced.  Basically it's a six-week training program to get you ready to walk (or jog) a 5K.  I've never done a 5K ANYTHING in my life.  Pretty much been a couch potato for a loooong time!  Our WW leader, who does meetings in three different cities, has picked a 5K in a central location that she invited all of us to participate in.  At first I was like, "Yeah...sure...right...let's get to talking about food!"  But the more I listened and the more I started thinking about it, the more I realized this was a goal I could reach.  One that would keep me motivated.  It really helps that there is a training chart, both on paper and on-line that I can check off the boxes as I do each day's training! :)  And I get to put a star by my name each week that I do my training...what is it about a silly little "Bravo" star that makes me work harder?? 

So...I'm in Week 3 of training...last night was a milestone for me...in a couple of ways.  We enjoyed a wonderful Easter with our family...went to church together and heard a terrific Easter sermon, ate a great meal of crawfish etouffee, took a short nap, cuddled and played with the grandson, visited with the kids.  Once the kids were gone, I pulled on my walking shoes and headed out...that's the first milestone ~ getting up and exercising on a holiday...like I said I've been a couch potato for a loooong time and any excuse not to exercise has always been a good one for me!  Plugged in my pink earbuds, started my RunKeeper app and started walking to a great playlist of music (props to hubby and baby daughter for RunKeeper and playlist)!  I actually walked a mile ~ second milestone!  Don't know when the last time was that I did that, if ever!  I'm 1/3 of the way to my 5K!!  Whoo hoo!! 

Now for the challenge for all of you...and a little bit of celebration too!  The date that my WW leader has picked for us to walk our 5K is June 4 ~ my 49th birthday.  Our family will be walking together (including grandson in his nifty Cadillac stroller!), then we're headed back to our house to celebrate my birthday together.  Don't think I've ever been quite so excited for a birthday...it will be a fun day of getting fit together.  And the exercise will make up for the cake we'll enjoy!  So...will you join us?  If you're in the area, you're more than welcome to walk with us, then come eat some cake with us!  If you're not in the area, please consider walking your own 5K...then have a piece of cake in celebration of YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment