Thursday, September 29, 2011

Caution: School Zone

What??  Two posts in the same week?

I have a good friend a few years younger than me who is working on getting her Master’s Degree.  She also has five children (two of whom are in college, one of those about to get married), works a full-time job and is involved in all of her kids’ sports activities.  I jokingly said to her the other day, “You’re such an over-achiever!”  And truthfully, it was meant as a compliment.  That conversation, along with several other nuggets of wisdom I’ve heard over the years, has started me thinking about my own “education.” 

My first-grade teacher for as long as I can remember signed off on her letters and emails with “When you’re through learning, you’re through.”  Wise words, Mrs. Sharp…

My college Accounting professor, Margaret Wright, was the perfect picture of a professional who was always prepared and pushed us to expect more from ourselves. 

My mother used to borrow a phrase from Shakespeare, “To thine own self be true.”  I always took that to mean, “Don’t lie to your mother!”  (I think I had a guilty conscience!)  But I realize now she really meant me to stop long enough to consider not only what I was saying, but what I was doing…to take into consideration if what I was doing was beneficial and good for me and not harmful to others. 

For years my patient husband has said, “Eat less, move more.”  Never, ever in a condescending or critical way, just practical advice for staying fit and healthy.  Seriously, he deserves a medal for how patient he has been with me over the years …

My Weight Watchers leader, Ellen, is a former school teacher…every week her meetings are chock full of information that we soak up like sponges…information that is backed by research from a company that has been in business for almost 50 years helping people lose weight and get fit.  She gives us the tools we need to win this battle! Eat right.  Be active.  Stay on target.  Get up and go.  Power up.  Treat yourself.  And in good school-teacher fashion, she doesn’t just give us the answers … she makes US give HER the answers!  And … she gives BRAVO stars when you get the answers right!  Ellen has some amazing aides in her classroom … Cynthia, Gina and all the folks at the check-in tables weighing us in, giving us encouragement, celebrating with us, giving us a pep talk when needed … seriously, I look forward to Fridays just so I can see all of them!  Each of these ladies has been down the weight-loss road.  They are living proof that it can be done.  I’m learning a lot from them about losing it, maintaining it, but most importantly, living it.

So … if you’re ready to achieve more, if you’re not through learning, if you’re ready to do something beneficial for yourself … and if you’re on your own road to weight loss or fitness, consider Weight Watchers.  It’s a healthy approach to weight loss that will help you reach your goals ... one pound at a time.

Quarterly stats: Lost ~ 50.6 pounds (95 to go!)
                         Lost ~ 23.75 inches
                         Lost ~ 3 dress sizes

                         Gain ~ 50.6 pounds of mobility
                         Gain ~ 23.75 inches of flexibility
                         Gain ~ 3 dress sizes of confidence

No comments:

Post a Comment